Monday, February 20, 2012

Justice fully satisfied


My eldest son loves justice. He's the one named after a prophet. The farmer prophet who shouted God's call for justice flowing down like a river.

I see this love of justice when he argues "That's not fair" or shouts at his five year old brother because he's not being ten. The hunger to see things truly measured and rewarded needs shaping and refining in him. I'm praying for wisdom in that task...

But I'm thinking of his love of justice because there's a touch of God in that pure desire. God loves justice and God will see it satisfied.

A friend reminded me of karma today. I tried to gently question the idea that good will always be rewarded with good, and we barely even got to reincarnation. The bible talks of reaping what we sow but I think that is with long sight towards eternity. I see good people suffer and careless people prosper. I find it difficult to distinguish 'goodies' from 'baddies' sometimes. Most of us hurt and get hurt to differing degrees.

But God loves justice. And the law requires justice. So he did what the law could not do, and he fully satisfied his justice in Jesus' death. His love fully satisfied his justice.

He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.
Romans 8:4


No comments: