Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Uncomfortable truths

Marriage reflects some uncomfortable truths.

I really like being the one in the right. The one who is managing. The one who looks virtuous.

Sometimes I love that buzz of 'having it together'. Sometimes I even enjoy that my husband is having times when he struggles because I can be the one who covers for him.

WHAT?

How can I find even a skerrick if joy in the person dearest to me being sad or downtrodden? Why can I 'manage' when he is defeated?

Part of me knows that it is OK for him to need time and that 'managing' is what I need to do for the rest of my family.

But part of me likes to look good, for him to be thankful and realise what a great wife he has.

WHAT?

Real love does not delight in another's struggle in their pain. Real love reaches out to him, bears his burdens with him. Acknowledges that I am like him. I hurt and I especially hurt with him.

Real love does not rob him of the chance to be the one who rescues me and cares for me.

Marriage is teaching me that real love is sacrificial, and not about what other people think of me.

Marriage is a gift from God that will refine me, if I let it. If I can face what I see in the mirror marriage lifts before my face.

holy experience

4 comments:

Traci Michele said...

Yes, real true biblical love takes continaul dying to self.... Thank you for this post!

Traci

http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

Heather of Swallowing A Moose said...

Oh YES! it will definetly refine a woman!

Just keep surrending your whole self to the Lord. He never lets us down!

Be blessed!

Camille said...

Very true...we must allow the work to be done in us...how challenging that really is! :) May the LORD daily give you the grace you need to be all that HE calls you to be in your marriage. One day at a time...step by step with HIM.

Blessings,
Camille

Maude Lynn said...

This is an uncomfortable truth for me, too!