Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Feeling helpless...

Around me, things go wrong that I cannot fix. My friend's father dies during a time when my friend and his wife are already dealing with significant loss in their lives. Someone in our community struggles with finding out their son has been sexually abused. Sick people cannot manage to live the lives they would like to, and labour under constant, chronic pain.

I wonder why some people carry such heavy burdens. Why others can seem blessed in every aspect of their lives. I cannot frame an answer that truly satisfies.

I pray irregularly and unsystematically about these things. I am so human in my lack of faith, lack of compassion and lack of perserverence. Even though I feel helpless to change things, I still cling desperately to thoughts of what I can do.

I long for a day when helplessness and sadness about the state of the world drive me desperately to prayer.

Help me Lord, to remember that you are here.
Help me see you as you weep with the hurting.
Help me ask you to change things and to bring your kingdom.
Help me to trust you.
Help me to accept my own helplessness and let you work through me.
Help me to believe that you are powerful to help.

My current dialectic -
"I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief." Mark 9:24

No comments: